Evaluation of Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF), core support 2017-2021
The Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF) is a global women's rights organization founded in 1915. WILPF works to achieve feminist peace for equality, justice and demilitarized security through a twofold and interconnected methodology: by addressing root causes of violence with a feminist approach and by mobilizing for non-violent action.
“Advancing Feminist Peace: WILPF International Secretariat Strategic Plan 2017-2021” guides WILPF journey towards advancing feminist peace, and is based on WILPFs ToC. The plan is framed around four main Work Areas. Within this framework, the International Secretariat works towards achieving six strategic outcomes. Outcomes 1-4 are linked directly to the four Work Areas, while outcomes 5-6 crosscut all Work Areas.
The objective of this assignment was to evaluate and assess the relevance, effectiveness, impacts and sustainability of the implementation of WILPF´s strategic plan 2017-2021 and formulate recommendations as an input to upcoming discussions concerning the preparation of a new phase of the engagement between Sida and WILPF for the next strategic plan operational from 2022. The aim was moreover to examine the impact and lessons learned by the implementation of the Strategic Plan/Core Activities and assess its robustness and effectiveness to achieve WILPF’s ToC.
The evaluation questions were further:
Relevance: Is the intervention doing the right thing?
- To what extent has the Strategic Plan responded to stakeholders’ needs (global, country, and members/partner/institution) policies and priorities, and has the Plan continued to do so if/when circumstances have changed?
- Are the activities and outputs consistent with the Strategic Outcomes? To what extent have lessons learned from the programmes/interventions are being used to improve and adjust programme implementation/intervention?
Effectiveness: Is the intervention achieving its objectives?
- To what extent has the implementation of the Strategic Plan achieved its strategic outcomes, including any other results achieved across WILPF work?
- Does the existing MEL system deliver robust and useful information to assess the progress towards WILPF strategic outcomes and contribute to learning?
Impact: What difference does the intervention make?
- To what extent has the implementation of the strategic plan generated, or is expected to generate significant positive or negative, intended or unintended, high-level effects?
- What activities and method of work worked well to achieve the strategic outcomes and which actions did not work well and should be modified or discontinued?
- What are the specific challenges ahead for the International Secretariat and what new actions are critical for the next strategic phase?
Sustainability: Will the benefits last?
- Has WILPF’s work been taken up and cascaded by other stakeholders or partners as an evidence of the sustainability of the work?
- What were the major factors that influenced the achievement or non-achievement of sustainability?
- Is there an evidence that WILPF’s interventions (programmes and initiatives) are likely to grow beyond the current period of the Strategic Plan?
The evaluation found that the set objectives as well as the ToC remains relevant for the movement and has been functioning as a guiding framework in WILPF’s strategic work. WILFP has moreover strengthened its position and intervened effectively at a global, regional, and national level, as the movement’s voice has been increasingly recognised and respected. The evaluation also found that the grant support of Sida has been vital in the pursual and implementation of the Strategic Plan. It has also enabled WILF to combine being a grassroots-movement with having a global outreach. Sustainability, in terms of a diversified founding base, thus remains a challenge.