Quality assurance of the Chia se Poverty Alleviation Program Phase II
Chia se can be described as a pre-reform program aiming at showing a way to implement the decentralization policies of the Government of Vietnam Nation-wide, analyze the results obtained and communicate lessons learned to the public administration nation-wide. The Chia sẻ approach to poverty alleviation can be briefly described as a way of empowering villagers to jointly manage a Local Development Fund (LDF), large enough to support investments that can improve the living conditions of the poor in a sustainable manner. Identification of poor households as well as setting development priorities were tasks decided by the village meeting convened by officials elected by the village. To maintain a democratic and transparent process for managing the LDF, investment decisions were taken by the village meeting.
The second phase:
- Consolidated the results achieved in the local areas
- Developed and analyzed less expensive ways of successfully applying the same approach, making it replicable nation-wide
- Made the results and the procedures behind these results well-known and communicated, for obtaining impact on Socio Economic Development planning, policy-making and application of already existing policies within the fields of poverty reduction, rural development, decentralization and grassroots democracy
ORGUT provided technical assistance and advice to the Ministry of Planning and Investments and the Provincial Peoples Committees in Ha Giang and Quang Tri in particular in developing and promoting the decentralized, rights-based approach to local governance.
In the consultancy services to the Chia sẻ Phase 2, a special Quality Control Group (QCT) was appointed. The group would according to the contract adhere to the ORGUT Consulting ISO certified quality standards. Its purpose was to
- Assist Chia sẻ Programme Management with quality control for major written outputs towards the end of the program, and;
- Provide Chia sẻ Programme Management with an analysis and quality assurance of the Technical Assistance
ORGUT fielded a quality assurance expert to achieve the purposes of the QA as defined in the program document and at the same time adhere to the ISO standards.